Lesson 1: Introduction to Careers- why people choose career (30-45 minutes)PowerPoint Presentation
On day one talking about careers, we discussed the definition of a "cluster" (relating it back to the career clusters), discussed why adults work, and how they choose their jobs. The students then created a story by entering a few words about what they like or enjoy doing, using this site. Below is a sample story made by this site! There is also a printable story where students just write in the words.
Lesson 2: Career Exploration (45-60 min.)
Each student received a worksheet to guide them through this "webquest". As a review of the previous lesson about choosing careers based on interests and personality, the students started by learning their "Holland Code" by using this quick assessment from GetReadyforCollege.org. In this assessment, students simply check the box next to the things that interest them. Once they submit, they are given a score for each of the 6 Holland Codes. After students have learned what their Holland Code is, we discussed as a class what each one meant, and what kinds of careers people with those personalities would typically like.
Next, students searched using Paws In Jobland for jobs related to their interests. They were to choose three jobs that are most interesting to them, and write down why they would be a good fit for those jobs, based on interests/personalities.
Once a teacher verified that they had completed the search site, they could go to VA Career View to explore more careers through games and activities.
- PowerPoint: https://www.dropbox.com/s/njom09fctjsp5w8/Career%20when%20i%20grow%20up%20story.pptx
- I Believe in Me online story: http://www.ibelieveinme.org/WIGU/ideaApplication.html
- I Believe in Me PDF story: http://www.ibelieveinme.org/Resource/When%20I%20Grow%20Up.pdf
- PowerPoint: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ijgz6o7s5ya00s/Career%20Powerpoint.pptx
- Webquest Worksheet:
- draft 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5471308mdc3s59t/career%20exploration%20worksheet%20%282%29.docx
- draft 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbt30xgxtokf35f/career%20exploration%20worksheet%20%281%29.docx
- Holland Code Personality Assessment: http://www.getreadyforcollege.org/sPagesGR/interestAssessment.cfm
- Paws In Jobland: http://paws.bridges.com/cfnc1.htm
- VA Career View: http://vacareerview.org/k5/play-it/career-town/main.cfm